Ramen, Tapas/Small Plates
Price Range : $11-30 ($$)
Adress: 799 San Antonio Rd, Palo Alto, CA 94303
Phone: (650) 493-2878
- turned_in_notHealth Score84 out of 100
- turned_in_notVegan OptionsYes
- turned_in_notVegetarian OptionsYes
- list_altTakes ReservationsYes
- credit_cardAccepts Credit CardsYes
- thumb_upGood ForLunch, Dinner
- local_parkingParkingPrivate Lot
- directions_bikeBike ParkingYes
- accessibilityGood for KidsYes
- groupGood for GroupsYes
- insert_emoticonAmbienceCasual, Classy
- volume_upNoise LevelAverage
- local_barAlcoholBeer & Wine Only
- turned_in_notGood For Happy HourNo
- transit_enterexitOutdoor SeatingYes
- tvHas TVNo
- turned_in_notDogs AllowedNo
Love this place, great Ramen and much more
The only problem is that I don't know how to say the name of this lovely place
Hands down, Co one here for the ramen only. I had the nankotsu, Cha Don, and the donhatsu in the tonkatsu broth. The nankotsu was by far the worst dish. Too crispy, lacking good meat, and having very little sauce to compliment it. The Cha soon was alright. The ramen was probably the best part. Try getting a soup base other than tonkatsu. Unfortunately there are too many flavors competing that it is hard to discern a taste other than umami.
Update: so I came here again and tried the same with the spicy miso. It's not hot but rather a throat-burning heat.
The chasu, pork belly, and taro pork were all good. As was the egg. But the broth and noodles were disappointing, which is so key! Noodles were a little too soft for me and the broth was on the watery side. I had to add a bunch of spice to give it some flavor.
The restaurant management is super sweet though, and it's a cheap, well-portioned bowl of ramen, around $12. I guess at the end of the day I'd come back but I would go to other places first before suggesting this place. In the summer it's nice to sit on the patio if you're looking for an outdoor option.
Before you read my review, you should know this about me:
1. I'm a southern Californian born in Taiwan.
2. I've lived in north Orange County all my life minus the four years I spent in UT for college.
3. I love to eat, and refuse to eat anything I don't think taste good. REFUSE.
4. I don't mind spending money to eat well.
5. My parents owned two sandwich shops while I was growing up. I worked there as a kid, through college and beyond, so I'm a big fan of mom and pop shops.
I don't know why this place got a 3.5 stars?!!??!?! Are Palo Alto Yelpers that picky??? Or maybe they are sabotaging this gem to keep it to themselves? Because everything we had was delicious.
We came here on Memorial Day Monday, right as it opened. Of course, there was no line, but within 20 minutes, that place was packed. So word to the wise: get there as soon as it opens.
What I liked about this place:
1. Easy to find, plenty of parking.
2. I tried side dishes: chicken and calamari. Both were EXCELLENT, piping hot and actually really decent sizes. I highly recommend them both.
3. Variety of broths and meats. I am really boring when it comes to ramen, but I am appreciative of places offering different bases and toppings to those who are more adventurous.
We also got an extra order of noodles. Pretty sure my hip and waistline hate me, but I don't care.
I would absolutely come back again.
The staff was friendly and the service was good. The vegan option was tasty and a good amount. I wish that it had more flavor and vegetables and tofu included. Overall, a very filling meal!